Safe Driving Tips for the Holidays
The holidays provide a great opportunity to spend quality time celebrating with family and friends. If you’re attending Christmas gatherings and New Year’s Eve parties over the next two weeks, remember to act responsibly and avoid driving drunk.
Drunk driving car accidents tend to spike during the holiday season, and the consequences are often devastating for the victims. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD):
- 1,200 alcohol-related car accident fatalities and 25,000 alcohol-related car accident injuries are expected during the holiday season
- 37% of highway deaths occurring during the Christmas holiday are alcohol-related
- 58% of highway deaths occurring during the New Year’s holiday are alcohol-related
The attorneys at the Turley Law Firm want you to enjoy a safe and festive holiday season. In order to reduce your risk of being involved in a drunk driving car accident, we encourage you to keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Arrange for a ride home after attending a Christmas or New Year’s party. If there is no one available to be a designated driver, you can call a taxi, Uber or Lyft to take you home.
- Stay off the road. If you’re too drunk to drive home, ask the host of the party if you can spend the night.
- If you’re hosting a holiday party, make sure none of your guests drive home after drinking. Consider allowing guests to spend the night if they’re too drunk to drive. If you don’t have space for guests to sleep over, take their keys away and call them a cab.
- If you’re driving, be on the lookout for warning signs of drunk drivers. If you see a driver acting erratically, swerving, or exhibiting any other behaviors typical of drunk driving, keep your distance.
- Report any instances of intoxicated drivers to the police at once so that these drivers can be removed from the road.
If you’re injured in a drunk driving car accident during the holiday season, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages. The attorneys at the Turley Law Firm have been fighting for the rights of car accident victims in the Dallas area for over 40 years, and we’ll help you hold the negligent driver accountable for your injuries.
Please contact the Turley Law Firm using the form on this page or call (214) 691-4025 today to schedule your free car accident consultation. We serve clients in the Dallas, Texas area.