Motorcycle Safety Tips
July is Women’s Motorcycle Month, and according to the Motorcycle Industry Council, almost one out of every four motorcyclists is female – comprising 6.7 million of America’s 27 million riders. Dallas injury lawyer Windle Turley has handled motorcycle accident cases since 1973 and is committed to pursuing compensation for those who have suffered in these potentially debilitating collisions.
Road safety is the shared responsibility of all drivers, regardless of vehicle type. However, certain accidents, such as motorcycle and truck accidents, can yield more injuries than typical auto wrecks. In fact, motorcyclist injury or death occurs in over 80% of all reported motorcycle crashes.
Below are a few safety tips for both motorcycle operators and their fellow drivers on the road.
Safety tips for motorcyclists:
- Wear a helmet and eye protection: The National Highway Traffic Administration (NHTSA) reports that helmet-use is the single greatest factor in minimizing motorcyclist neck and head injuries.
- Only ride when sober: The NHTSA also found that motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes are nearly three times more likely to have consumed alcohol than average drivers.
- Complete a safety course: Motorcycle safety courses can teach you life-saving fundamentals.
- Assume others can’t see you: Make yourself more noticeable by riding with your headlight on and by wearing bright clothing.
Safety tips for other motorists:
- Avoid tailgating: Motorcycles can slow down significantly without triggering their brake lights. Allow greater following distance and be cautious when approaching intersections.
- Share the road, not the lane: Motorcycles require frequent lane-position adjustments. Allow them plenty of room and never pull alongside them in a lane.
- Be Cautious of turn signals: Most motorcycle turn signals don’t self-cancel and new riders often forget to turn them off.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident in the Dallas area, contact the Turley Law Firm by calling 214-691-4025 or by completing the form on this page to schedule a free evaluation of your case. We welcome clients from the Dallas – Fort Worth area and throughout Texas.