Causes of Fatal Truck Accidents
When semi-trailer trucks are involved in accidents, the damages and injuries caused are usually much more severe than if the accident involved just passenger cars. Often times, these accidents result in the loss of a loved one. Our Dallas wrongful death lawyers understand how emotionally painful these tragic events can be, and we offer legal counsel with compassion and integrity.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates as many as 5000 people die each year in truck-related accidents, including approximately 700 truck drivers and passengers. Many truck accidents are caused by passenger-car drivers when they:
- Drive where the truck driver can’t see them (the “no-zone” behind or beside the truck)
- Maneuver abruptly or unsafely (changing lanes in front of a truck, pulling between trucks, not merging into lanes properly, passing improperly, not accelerating or braking adequately in response to a truck’s movement)
- Don’t judge an approaching truck’s speed properly and try to turn in front of it
- Drive distracted or while tired
Truck drivers are not faultless, however, and many accidents are also caused by:
- Inadequate driver training
- Drivers trying to make the best time or drive for more hours than they should
- Unrealistic delivery schedules, resulting in drivers being less safe
- Poor maintenance leading to equipment failure or malfunction, including tire blowouts and brake failures
- Jack-knifing or runaway trailers
- Overloaded trailers
- Driving distracted or while tired
If you have been involved in an accident involving a truck or have lost a loved one in such an accident, contact our Dallas wrongful death lawyers by completing the form on this page or calling 214-691-4025 to schedule a free consultation. We welcome clients from Fort Worth and throughout Texas.