Did Your Airbags Fail to Deploy in a Car Accident?
Airbags are the last lifeline for car accident victims. They are meant to deploy when a car crash occurs, and whether they successfully deploy can be the difference between life and death for an accident victim. Unfortunately, there have been many claims in recent years that autos are being sold on the market with defective airbags that fail to deploy as expected. Continue reading to learn about airbag failures in a Texas car crash. If you or a loved one is hurt in a crash when an airbag fails to deploy, call an experienced Dallas car accident attorney at the Turley Law Firm for assistance.
Why Airbags Fail
An airbag might fail to deploy in a car crash for a number of different reasons. The most common causes of airbag failure include:
- Defective sensors and other electronic components. Some airbags fail to deploy because the attached sensors failed to detect that a crash occurred. Alternatively, the sensors may have detected a crash, but some other internal mechanism failed to cause the airbag to deploy. The manufacturers may have failed to adequately design, test, or install the sensors, or the software installed alongside the sensors may have malfunctioned for one reason or another.
- The nature of the crash. Airbags are meant to deploy whenever necessary to protect a driver or passenger, but many airbags have been known to fail in certain types of crashes. For example, frontal airbags may fail to deploy when a vehicle is struck in the side, causing a rollover collision.
- Defective wiring. Airbag wiring can be severed in the event of a crash which can prevent or delay deployment. Obviously, airbags should be designed and installed in such a manner as to prevent severing, given that the entire purpose of an airbag is to protect a driver or passenger in a car accident. The defect may arise in the design of the product or at some point in the manufacturing process.
How to Recover Compensation After an Airbag Failure
If you or your loved one suffered additional harm in a car accident because an airbag failed to deploy, you have the right to seek recovery from the manufacturer of the vehicle, the manufacturer of the airbag, or both. In many cases, an injured victim will sue the auto manufacturer, who will in turn seek indemnification (cost coverage) from the company that manufactured or installed the airbag.
With help from your car accident attorney, you will need to demonstrate:
- The airbag failed to deploy
- The airbag should have deployed, given the circumstances of the accident
- The failure to deploy caused the accident victims to suffer additional injury beyond what they would have suffered already as a result of the accident
- The airbag failed because of a defect in either the design or the manufacturing process
Talk to your car crash injury lawyer about how to develop your case and whom you may hold liable for the injuries you have suffered. You may be eligible for a significant recovery, including compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering, wrongful death, and other damages.
If you or a family member has been injured due to a defective airbag in Texas, please contact the Turley Law Firm online or call 214-691-4025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org today to schedule your free consultation. Our experienced Dallas attorneys serve clients throughout Texas and multiple Southern and Southwestern states.