Tips for Pedestrian Safety
Dallas accident attorney Windle Turley knows first-hand that traffic accidents can impact more people than just those travelling in colliding vehicles. Damages can extend to families, loved ones and bystanders.
According to the latest reports by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Texas claims the second highest pedestrian fatality rate in the nation, trailing just behind California. The NHTSA also states that a staggering 90 percent of pedestrian deaths are related to single vehicle auto accidents.
Pedestrian safety is everyone’s responsibility. In an effort to reduce traumatic injuries and death, the NHSTA offers the following tips for both pedestrians and drivers to help keep more people safe on and along our nation’s roadways:
Tips for Pedestrians:
- Stick to sidewalks or paths whenever possible.
- When no sidewalk or path is available, walk facing traffic.
- Never assume drivers can see you.
- Depending on the time of day, wear bright clothing or reflective materials.
- Whenever possible, only cross streets at crosswalks or intersections.
- If you can’t find a crosswalk or intersection, wait until you find a safe gap in traffic, and stay alert while crossing.
- Avoid freeways and other roadways that prohibit pedestrians.
- Don’t walk while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs (34% of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes had a Blood Alcohol Content of .08 or higher).
Tips for Drivers:
- Be constantly on the lookout for pedestrians.
- Be particularly alert for pedestrians at night or during bad weather.
- Reduce speed and be ready to stop at crosswalks.
- Always stop at crosswalks when pedestrians are present.
- When behind a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk, never pass.
- Never drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Follow the speed limit.
- When in school zones or other areas where children are present, follow slower speed limits.
If you’ve been injured in an accident due to an inattentive driver, contact an experienced Dallas accident attorney at the Turley Law Firm by calling (214) 691-4025 or by completing the form on this page to schedule your consultation. We proudly serve clients in Dallas and throughout Texas.